Hygge: A Danish and Norweigan word for a feeling of cosiness and good wellbeing.
About two years ago, this word was everywhere in the UK. People were Hygging (?) left right and centre. The Little book of Hygge by Meik Wiking was in every major supermarket.
If I’m honest, I wasn’t that into it, thinking ‘God this is like avocados- it’s just a phase’ I may have been wrong about both. I won’t be buying any avocados soon ~(yuk) but Hygge, may have stolen my heart.
I’m sure you can tell from this blog I am a bookworm, (I prefer Book Unicorn, actually. I am NOT a worm) so I going tell you why I think Hygge is perfect for all Book Nerds…
- Books go really well with drinking, tea/coffee/Hot Chocolate/mulled wine.
- Hygge is about slowing down, making time to read
- Candles– Who doesn’t love lighting their favourite Book scented candle
- Creation of a cosy atmosphere- Blankets, cushions, comfy chairs etc.
- Build relationships – Book Clubs, online and offline communities.
- Leaving the Drama in the Books…
- Gratitude to the amazing authors, publishers, reviewers, Bloggers, Fans, creators of Book Merchandise.
- Finding your Tribe- Most Bookworms are Introverts, they are not overly fond of big crowds. Find 1 or 4 people to chill with, reading listening to music is perfect.
- Comfort food– Okay this is a personal one. I love to munch on popcorn, or gummy bears or cake when I am reading
I am here to be your hyggespreder. I am starting a new section of my Blog all about Hygge, including some recipes, seasonal tips, Cosy Room ideas, relationship building, and tips on how to make time for all of this..
Summer doesn’t really feel like the time to be cozy, but IT is about relaxing and enjoying the moment… In a few days I’ll publish a post about Hygge in summer, and why it is almost as important to get cozy in the summer as well as the cozier of seasons..